Friday, June 27, 2008

I turned 33 and there was no fanfare

Once you pass 30, birthdays get innocuous and people seem to care less. When you’re young, your mom bakes you a cake while you put on your fancy party dress and prance around the house. The novelty just seems to wear off when pink clashes with your self tanner, prancing would cause things to shake and come crashing to the floor, and you find yourself at the bakery buying your own birthday cake…

“Just put a big 33 on the cake,” I told the baker.
“What color would you like the writing in?”
“I don’t really care.”
“Well who’s the cake for, a girl or a boy?”
“It’s for me.”
“Oh.”


On purpose I went to two places on my birthday where I had to show my driver’s license. Starving for some sort of menial attention, I pointed out to both disinterested cashiers, “It’s my birthday.”

“Um, oh, Happy Birthday.”
“Yeah, thanks.”

But at 10:28 p.m., like my mom used to do, Matt sat up with me until the digital clock rang out 28 after and he planted me a big kiss. “Happy Birthday, honey.”

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How much "fanfare" do you need at 33
We celebrated your birthday with good food, sang Happy Birthday, and watched you open gifts while surrounded by most of your family.What was missing? Just curious.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!

Rosemarie said...

Dear Anonymous -- What was missing? Why, the marching band and tightwalkers and jugglers and all that which makes fanfare was missing! Geez, it's so obvious!!

;)

Benjamin Vogt said...

I turned 32 last month. Fanfare? MY parents called me just before I went to bed. That's cutting it close. I went to the hardware store and washed my car, deadheaded some flowers, too.