Saturday, July 26, 2008

15 years later ...

Over the 4th, my best friend from High School got married.

At 15, we were as thick as thieves, as only pals in high school can be. Perched on the kitchen counter, I would be on the phone (no cordless then) talking for hours, even though we had just seen each other all day in school; our conversation peppered with gossip about boys, boys, and more boys -- mostly public school boys because they were cooler. After school would mean track practice (before the driver's license) or driving around town looking for boys (after the driver's license).
Prom 1993: Fancy dresses and big hair


15 year later... better hair and more wisdom

Somewhere in college we drew apart, then we grew back together after college, then I moved and our lives went their separate way again -- different jobs, different friends, different lives ...

In May for Matt's graduation party, she showed up and talking to her again was like talking to an old friend who just got back form a long vacation. We were too comfortable for chit chat, thank goodness, but I felt there was so much I didn't know.

So maybe we're not the best friends we once were and we don't see each other as often as we should, but I always know she's there. If we were to fall back into each other's lives, it would be like discovering a whole new friendship, but with someone who knows some (but not all ) of my dirty secrets.

No comments: