Wednesday, July 1, 2009

First Crop of the Season

Yesterday we picked up our first crop share of the season.

We joined a CSA – Community Supported Agriculture – with our next-door neighbors on the every other week plan (because even that was too much for 2 people!). The nearest farm to our house for pick up is the Green Earth Institute in Naperville.

Pick up is from 530-730, I left at 5:10 and got there close to 6PM – and it's only 12.5 miles away! I took the BMW all alone, so this was my first "real" alone trip driving the stick shift that far in heavy traffic and it was great. Although when I turned on the gravel road to the farm, I cried, "Oh no, my car!" And then I saw all the other SUVs and felt like we were a bunch of hypocrites. Next time, I'm taking the Civic with all my bumper stickers. Matt won't let me fancy up the BMW with stickers …

I got there during a lull, so the line was short and I got to mull over which 7 turnips I wanted, and which 6 garlic snapes looked thickest. My 2 big Madison Farmer's Market bags served my well as I ladled all the greenery into them, thinking I'll need more bags as the season continues.

This bi-weekly share included (and I'm splitting this with our neighbor): 1 summer squash, 7 turnips, 5 radishes, 6 garlic snapes, 1 Chinese cabbage, 1 bag of sugar snap peas, spinach, mesclun, and Asian greens, 1 broccoli head, 1 bunch of Swiss Chard, and 1 bunch of green onions.

Tonight I am making pasta with greens, garlic snapes, broccoli, onions, truffle oil, and Parmesan cheese. After kickboxing class, of course.

No comments: