Yesterday we went to Savannah.
Savannah is about 70+ miles north of St. Simon's, so it was only about 1-1/2 hour drive to get there. Matt and I were last in Savannah six years ago on our honeymoon. It was so nice to be back -- still married --and see our B&B and the places we walked as "mooney-eyed" newlyweds (and now as a true married couple). I have a feeling this will not be our last trip to this wonderful city.
Obviously the main reason we went was to visit my mother-in-law's cousin, Preston, who's an artist in Savannah, and his wife. He does oil paintings of Savannah, Charleston, and the low country, all of which I thought were genuine "slices of life" and very thoughtful. He has a beautiful house in downtown Savannah that is filled with art -- both paintings and objets from their many travels -- as well as books and collections and a 140 lb brown labrador. It was a mini-museum and very memorable.
After family talks and cocktails, we went to eat at Garibaldi's -- a well-known Savannah restaurant that he has painted. The upstairs was like a European courtyard and as the lights got dim, the candles on the table flickered. I ordered the crsipy flounder (like 6 years ago) with an apricot glaze. It is such a delicious dish that I had to order it again (it will become my Savannah dish). The coctail du jour was definitely the mojito (not that I had one; I didn't need to become "fun bobby" and fall down the stairs), but I did taste my father-in-law's and they were really excellent and fresh.
We spent the night at their house -- it's 4 floors (don't worry, there's an elevator) and we stayed on the top floor which had 3 bedrooms, a bath, and a sitting area. They said they host a lot of exchange students and this is probably where they stay. If I were an exchange student, I would request to stay with there because it was so comfortable. Matt and I shared a king-size bed, and we still found ourselves huddled close in the middle.
I'll write about today (it's not over yet) tonight.
Adieu.
Washington DC, Day 1
10 years ago



No comments:
Post a Comment