Monday, May 16, 2011

Poor ol' Grandma

It looks like no one wants to be called Grandma anymore. Too old sounding for the Baby Boomers who are becoming grandparents, it seems.

At first when I read the articles in Babble & NY Times, I thought that this is just a typical trend now that 60 is the new 40 and stretch denim has been invented. But then I took a step back. Does Wesley have a Grandma and Grandpa? Nope. Did my mom want to be called Grandma? Nope. Did we actually discuss her new name? Yep.

So it looks like we're also guilty of the Grandma-trap.

My husband's parents are Gaga (pronounced Gagi, this is what my MIL called her grandma) and Pop (this is what he wants to be called). My parents are Nonno (Italian for grandpa since my dad is from Italy) and... well, this is where we get confusing... my mom still doesn't know what she wants to be called. In the interim, I've nicknamed her Nanalee (Nana + Lee from her name Rosalie), and even though she likes this name, she's holding out that Wesley will come up with something better.

Better than Nanalee?

Maybe she's hoping that Wesley will follow in the footsteps of Paula Dean's grandson. On the Today Show a while back, Paula Dean was telling them that her son wanted his baby to call her Granny, in which she replied that if he did she was going to cut him out of her will. But her little grandson found a cuter name .. Ginny (pronounced /g/). As much as I love to make fun of Paula, that was pretty cute.

But my mom's not a Ginny. According to these articles, Goldie Hawn is being called GlamMa ... now if only my mom had thought of that first.  She doesn't have the long blond hair, but can she pull off GlamMa?

Wes and his Grandma, Nana, Glamma??

1 comment:

Isabelle said...

I understand the problem. It took my mum more than a year to find a name, not too old, and easy to pronounce for both a french and an english speaking grandchild. She found Mimi and now, everybody in the family uses it, and not only the kids.