Sunday, March 10, 2013

Madeleines

I almost named our baby girl Madeleine, and as I failed yet again to make perfect looking madeleines, I am glad I chose the name Claire.

Dorie's recipe for traditional madeleines is on the menu tonight for dessert. The recipe is fairly easy - a few ingredients, not a lot of fuss, and the biggest deal about them is to keep the batter in the fridge for 3 hours before baking. Okay. Commence baking.

I did everything per the book - my own foible is that I only have whole wheat flour in the house. No biggie.


When I checked the batter after the 3-hour chill, it was thick and foamy - the baking powder evidently. Is it supposed to be like that?? The recipe says to fill the madeleine tins to the top, but its hard to do with a foamy batter. The result is over-filled tins and huge madeleines that don't have either the small hump on the backside (the hallmark of a true Madeleine) nor crispy edges like Dorie's picture.

They taste good though, a little too cake-y. This will have to be a re-do at some point.

Recipe Here.

2 comments:

Isabelle said...

Quel hasard. Je voulais moi aussi appeler ma fille Madeleine ! Je ne l'ai pas fait mais les madeleines sont un de mes desserts préférés. Je te donnerai si tu veux ma recette de madeleines au miel.
bises

Rosemarie said...

Oui isabelle! Envoie-moi la recette!