I was on the train last night going downtown from work and in front of me was the cutest little girl who was about 2 years old. She was with a woman who must have been her mom and what was the mom doing? Teaching her little baby to say the word "skank." And saying it she did over and over with her mom making sure it was right.
I was overcome with sadness. And I asked myself which was worse, this or the moms I see beating their kids on the train when they fuss just a little.
Not having grown up with this sort of behavior, I'm shocked and saddened each time.
I imagine these women being young, poor, single moms who are stressed out and have never been taught what it's like to be a proper mother. Each time I see this I see the continuing cycle of poverty. And every time I see this I get more and more angry with those who only want to teach abstinence instead of a comprehensive sex education to ALL people -- not just those in wealthy suburban schools.



No comments:
Post a Comment