Sunday, March 16, 2008

Radon



We just got our radon remediated... here's the back story:

In October 2005, Matt and I checked our basement for Radon after watching a 20/20 special on it (I really had wished we knew about this sooner and would have done the test before we bought our house). Our test came back as 11.1 pCi/L which is higher than the 4 pCi/L recommended by the EPA. A second test yielded 24.7 pCi/L !!! So then we did a test in our Family Room (also below grade but not as low as the basement) and it was 5.8 pCi/L. So we got some quotes to re-mediate it and we talked to my dad (because doesn't Dad Know Best?). My dad got upset that we believe everything on the news and he said Radon is just a government ploy to get people to spend money. [sigh] He pretty much said if we spent any money on this he would disown us.

So we sat on our quotes vowing to seal the sump pump.

In October 2006, our basement flooded and my dad did some work on the sump pump. After that, we did another test and it came back as 5.8 pCi/L.

Then we sat on it again and just avoided the basement like we had Mr. Rochester's crazy wife stashed down there (Jane Eyre for all you non-Lit majors).

Finally 2008 rolled in and Matt and I made our 1st resolution. Get the radon re-mediated so A) we don't get cancer and B) we can use our basement since we paid for it. So now it's done, this is what it looks like, and my dad doesn't know yet.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

He knows now! I can't believe all the things wrong with your house since you bought it. It's crazy all that you've had to fix. Didn't the home inspector catch anything? I'm glad I always buy new.

Anonymous said...

Test

Anonymous said...

test