Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Solar, dude

Solar energy.

I want it. Can I have it? Can I put solar panels on my house and transform this meek split level into George Jetson’s dream vacation home? Can I harness the sun’s power to heat and cozy-up my abode the way the Delorian harnessed 1.21 gigowatts of nuclear energy to travel through time?

Matt – who before we got married actually went to an energy fair and contemplated life in a hay barrel house – and I have thought a lot about solar power/panels. We haven’t done any research on this – how to set it up, the initial costs. But we agree this is the direction in which we want to go.

All I know – all I think I know – is that you need:
  • your roof to be south facing in some way (the sun is strongest facing south)
  • space in the house to house all the generators and batteries that store this energy.
We have both – we’re north/south facing with ample roof space on the south side. Plus our unfinished basement could hold a plethora of gizmo-gadgets. So now we need to explore further and lucky for us … this Saturday is an Illinois Solar Tour where you can take a free self guided tour to homes and businesses that have adopted solar energy. You can view their panels and their set ups, ask questions and see what it’s all about.

Sometimes I think the Western burbs as a whole is not as forward leaning, green-minded as the city (and near-city) dwellers, so I was so happy to see 14 different places to visit. I total in the Chicagoland area there are 100+ places. Very cool.

1 comment:

Benjamin Vogt said...

I'm sure you've seen these guys? http://renu.citizenre.com/index.php?c=1223338089. They aren't here in NE, which sucks, otherwise we'd be doing what you're thinking of doing! I like that your panel rental contract travels with you.