Monday, June 29, 2009

Birthday Dinner

This weekend was my birthday and it began with dinner at Graham Elliot's on Thursday night. I had heard of him, but I haven't really been keeping up with the dining scene in Chicago (ever since we moved to the 'burbs); so when Matt and I watched Top Chef Masters and saw him, we thought that he would be someone who's food we'd like to try. And voilà, a reservation was made.


At the table we snacked on popcorn with truffle oil and Parmesan cheese (I re-made this for my party on Friday night and it was awesome both times).Me chowing down the popcorn

Appetizers were -- COLD: white Tuna sashmi with avocado mousse, HOT: seared scallop topped with ham hock and served over potato salad with fried pickles and cornbread dressing.

Entrees were: MATT: bison steak with root beer barbecue sauce and beans, ME: Halibut with tomato marmalade, Israeli couscous, fennel and tomato powder.

Finally desert: we split a SB&J basically a deconstructed PB&J only with sesame shortbread, mango jam, raspberry foam, and a dollop of peanut butter ice cream.

I really liked this place, the food and the ambiance was really up my alley for a special occasion in the city. I liked eating food that felt like art, and combined (well to me at least) new flavors. This place was very hip, although not everyone there looked it so that helped (us included). On the other hand, if you want familiar - it's not here - you won't be taking any food home, and your bill will be really high. No vegetarian options as far as I could see, and you really need to order at least 2 appetizers, entree, dessert to get the feel for it. That said, it was a good special occasion place -- unless I lived around the corner, then I'd be there every night for popcorn.

1 comment:

Marijka said...

Happy Birthday! It is so fun to have an extravagant, artful meal once in a while. That popcorn sounds fabulous.