Thursday, September 2, 2010

New car ??

I'm 1/2 way through my maternity leave and they go ahead and change the Metra schedules for my train up north-- for the worse. My morning commute will now be almost 2hrs, my train won't get into town until 915am, and my return commute shortens my connection that I HAVE to catch to pick up baby from daycare... Yep. No good all the way around.
Matt and I talked and agreed I may have to start driving. Not my 1st choice, but my only choice. Instead of sleeping, reading, and decompressing on the train before I turn into "mommy", I will be stressing in traffic on the tri-state.
We agreed that my 70mile commute needs a new fuel efficient car (our BMW is not that fuel efficient and the Honda is old 2 doors, and can't fit a car seat). So my trusty Honda Civic that I bought at 23 when I got my first job in '98 will get sold. Snif.
It stinks that we're forced to get a new car for this reason. I wish I lived closer toy job but that's life. Right now we're looking into a Jetta Sportwagon TDI-- clean diesel auto that gets great has mileage and I love wagons for some reason. We'll see what we end up with...

3 comments:

Colleen said...

Is that schedule change just temporary because of the bridge construction? I can't remember....I thought I just read that somewhere. That really stinks about not being able to use the train. It is just so relaxing to not have to worry about driving!

Amy said...

The train schedule change does stink! Good luck with the car search, let me know if you want Kristie or Aitor's email address to ask them about the Jetta Sportswagon. Jason will send you the phone number today for Arek at Jennings VW.

Rosemarie said...

You're right, it's not permanent but it's supposed to be a multi-year construction-- and wig daycare/baby it makes this change tougher on me. Metra!!!