Thursday, August 11, 2011

Bedroom floors

A few weeks back, we had our spare bedroom/office floors put in.

Before: Parquet flooring
Once again we hired our contractor. Matt & I removed the parquet from the baby's room and it is NOT an easy job, we knew we couldn't do it again. When the workers were pulling up this flooring, the house was shaking and I was grateful that we could hire someone for this back-breaking work. For the new hradwood flooring, we chose a pre-finished kind: Millstead's Maple Chocolate hardwood. It looks really nice, and what an easy install when you don't have to sand and stain and varnish like we did with the rest of the house (no stink and 24/7 fans blowing). We'll put this same flooring in our bedroom later this month.
After: New hardwood flooring
 Yesterday, I painted the trim while our babysitter watched Wesley, and now all I have to do is pick out a wall color.

Our biggest trip-up for this room is that we'd like to put the "office" into the closet. I saw this in a magazine and it looked like a great way to free-up a room. I found some great pictures for ideas on-line - here are a few:


 
We have attic access in this closet, so we just have to work around that and make the closet "removable" for the 1-2 times a year we "might" need to go into the attic. Make that 1-2 times every 5 years!

4 comments:

angie said...

Restoration hardware had a really cool office desk. It looked like a big trunk and you just closed it up to put your desk away.

angie said...

Found it online.

http://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod1617117

Pricey, but so cool, especially when it's closed up. You could put your office anywhere!

Rosemarie said...

crazy expensive!

angie said...

Wonder how hard it would be to make something like that? I'm sure it could be done for way less. Might have to look into that!