Tuesday, October 11, 2011

5K race en famille

Along with my 2 cousins and my cousins boyfriend, Matt, Wesley, & I did our first 5K as a family -- the Fall Color 5K a the Morton Arboretum  -- last weekend.

Matt's been running 5Ks since 1997 (he proudly showed me his first t-shirt from that race, stashed away in his "memories" pile), and most recently (April 2011) did a 1/2 Marathon. He was going to run this race too, but after a nasty spill down the stairs (where Wes was in his arms and he landed in the ER afterwards), he decided to "walk" it with me.
Our "official" photo - we look terrible
 After all the runners, a big sign was posted "Walkers with Strollers" - that was us! So the 3 of us did our first ever 5K, and even if Matt felt a little lame walking it (we did run some, and even did Mile 2 in 13 min), we hoofed it up and down those hills, through the beautiful Arboretum, passing people left and right and we finished pretty good.  45 minutes 10 seconds. Not bad walking with a stroller - and we beat our goal of a 15 min mile -- our pace was 14:33.
Getting to the starting line
Wesley, aside from not wanting to wear his cute hat, was great in the stroller and even slept a little.  At one point, though, when I said, "We can do this next year," I swear that he gave me a dirty look.  Next year, he can run the kids race -- they start at 2 years old.

4 comments:

KT said...

A few years ago, we did that race, but and unorganizd packet pickup has kept me away...hopefully they have figured it out.

Another good one next weekend - Jack's Run in Glen Ellyn. My favorite of the western suburbs. The parking isn't good, but other than that, we have loved it. It is a donation race, so you pick your $ amount...making it a very big family race.

Rosemarie said...

My cousin picked up our packet early so we were lucky not to have to deal with that. As for Jack's Run, I've seen signs for that since we've lived here. I'd be interested in that next year - thanks for letting me know!

Natalie said...

It's much more organized now. I had heard some complaints about that but luckily they worked out the kinks!

Colleen said...

I think when I did it they listed my name spelled wrong and that I was 13. :) It is a beautiful place to go for a walk or run. It is probably one of the hilliest races around....hope you had fun.