Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Revolutionary War, reenactment

A few weekends ago we took Wesley to a Revolutionary War reenactment. I had never been to one ... Civil War, yes, but not Revolutionary.

This reminds me of a story ....

An old colleague of mine was (and still is) a Civil War re-enacter and lent me a gown so I could join her and their Artillery group at a local reenactment. I was 24 and so excited about wearing a hoop skirt, until I had to get it on - alone, in my appartment.  All my petticoats were falling to my knees as I made my way through the camps looking for her group. Being a woman, I stopped and asked directions and they asked me, "Confederate or Union?" I just blankly stared back, I did take U.S History in High School ... anything? anything?  Nope. 

"There from the North," I answered.
"You want the Union [idiot], this is the Confederacy Camp."  

I walked away confused, why would there even be people from the Confederacy here, aren't we in Illinois?  You would never have guessed I graduated with honors. I was a 24-year old idiot in a hoop skirt with my petticoats now at my ankles.

Back to the Revolutionary ...

It was a lot of fun (and I missed being all dressed up) and educational.  Wesley got up close and personal with ...

Canons
And the men who use them

Children's Toys

And the kids who play with them
Scotsmen who fought for the Americans
And Scotsmen who fought for the King - loyalists

The British

and Gunsmoke

1 comment:

Marianne said...

I Love that wesley has already experienced sooo many places and outings!! Way to go!