Monday, March 12, 2012

18 month (really 19-1/2 month) appointment

This morning, I took Wesley for his "18 month" doctor appointment and last vaccine until he has to go to Kindergarten (yeah!!).

Like the 15 month visit, he hated everything from the measuring tape to the ear checker to the doctor himself -- even though he's the nicest doctor. Wesley wouldn't' have any of it and would have preferred running down the hall and out the door, even though he was only in a diaper.

The verdict is that he's a big boy -- "phenomenal growth pattern" the doctor said. His stats were:
Height:  35" long (95%)  -- almost 3' tall already!
Weight:  30 lbs (89%)

He's never been that high up on the weight before, but the doctor said he wasn't worried because he's not fat. "He's solid," he said. Yes I know, I said rubbing my aching back. 


Issues:
Wesley has been co-sleeping with us since he was 4 months old. In January, we moved out his crib and put in his "big boy bed" - i.e. my old double bed with rails. He still slept in our bed, but he took his naps in his own room; however, we always have to lay with him to fall asleep. Since March, he's been sleeping in his bed at night and we take turns who gets to sleep with him all night - again, we have to be there for him to fall asleep. The next step, I figured, was in April and that would be for us to leave him after he's fallen asleep, for him to sleep alone in bed but ... the doctor said don't wait for April. And he said further ...

... we can't lay in bed with him to make him fall asleep. Ugh! Wesley loves to fall asleep with his arm over you. We are, in other words, his "lovie." But now the doctor told me we have to find a new lovie for him. We can sit in a chair, or lay on the floor so he knows we're there, but we can't lay in bed with him.

I'm only dreading this because I know it's going to be a long road to get him to sleep without us in bed. With the new baby coming, I don't think we can wait any longer to train him, and we'll be better off if we can put him to bed normally. But ...

Of course, I don't have to listen to the doctor either ...

No comments: