Thursday, March 29, 2012

French & then Mexican

Since having Wesley, I went from a stay-at-home mom, to working part-time, to teaching French once-a-week, to... once again being a stay-at-home mom.

That's right, my French class has officially ended making me officially unemployed to enjoy my last 3 months of pregnancy running after my crazy 20 month old -- who, by the way, has officially entered the Terrible Two's.

Wednesday was the last of my 20-week French teaching spree.And for the last 20 weeks, I bitched and moaned over this class, the lesson planning, and the drive out to the school -- not to mention all the work I had to do to convert this Spanish program into a French one. Well... who would have thought the kids and parents actually liked me. My regional manager received absolutely no complaints from the parents (which I hear is common), and the parents not only applauded my efforts at the last class -- which was a "Showcase" for the students to show off their new french skills to their parents (I had the kids do a skit, we played games, and ate good food) -- but they want me back next year. To be determined ...

After class, Matt met me and we had a wonderful dinner to celebrate the end of a good school year at Bien Trucha. I have been wanting to go to this restaurant for ages, but it's 1) not for kids 2) no reservations 3) expect to wait 40 minutes minimum for a table (no wonder, the place is tiny)

... But everything fell into place because we had no baby with us, Matt took an early train and met me at the restaurant 20 minutes before it opened and we were the first ones in line when it did open (yes, a line developed outside on a Wednesday evening), and we got a table by the window. Perfect. Planning. Ever!
guacamole del dia (with peaches)
 Food? It was so good. The kind of food you can eat everyday. Matt had a traditional margarita and I had the Agua del dia (it was Mango water that day), and the guacamole to start. he guac had peaches in it which was really good (note to self: Add peaches to my guac).
Steak tacos - rice & corn sides in background on Matt's plate
For dinner we split 2 orders of tacos (they come 4 to an order and are meant to be split) -- the house tacos (grilled skirt steak, home-made chorizo, manchego, roasted tomatillo-serrano salsa) & the de la Costa tacos (crispy beer battered shrimp, napa cabbage, cilantro, onion, roasted serrano-mango salsa.) We got the corn and rice sides which I recommend even though they are a la carte because they really added to the meal and were so tasty. We were stuffed and had to refuse dessert.
Tacos de la Costa - beer battered shrimp
We're still dreaming about these tacos, they were that good. if only this place can open a Food cart and we can eat them everyday without waiting 40 minutes (and have a baby in tow).

No comments: