Monday, November 24, 2008

Bathroom: Laying tile

Over the weekend, my dad finished drywalling and plastering all the walls and then he put in the new vent fan (with light).

He waited until the end to put this up because he was hoping we wouldn't change out the old fixture. But we really wanted a light in the shower and a higher powered vent, none of which made sense to my dad. The virtues of light as you shower didn't resonate with a man who says, "You shower for 5 minutes and then you're done. Why do you need light?" You would never guess my dad has ever lived with a woman with the way he talks sometimes.

This morning he came in bright and early (luckily I was up) to start laying the tile. Or as they are otherwise known around these parts, "Those damn pebbles." I had to give my dad a hand this morning and let me be the first one to say it, they are not easy to put down. I was glad we were just doing the shower floor (3' x 4'). Cutting them is easy per se (no tile cutter, just an exacto knife), but there was a lot of creative pebbling going on: pulling pebbles off and fitting them into spaces. I really hope it looks good when all is said and done. Fingers are crossed.

After the shower floor, he moved on to the bathroom floor where I wasn't needed to help, and to be frank, I couldn't if I wanted because there just isn't any room. This bathroom is tiny. And ti didn't take my dad long to cover the floor with the new marble tile.

No comments: