Monday, December 1, 2008

Employment

The past year has been a whirlwind of sorts at work, with what I can imagine most people are feeling nowadays -- uncertainty.

My company acquired another company last year and so a series of 3 layoffs ensued, all of which I survived. What followed, for me at least, was positive: I was made staff and got usurped into a really great department. We all took a trip in August which helped us get to know each other better, and sort of solidified a solidarity and friendship we all thought was there. And I felt really lucky to be part of it (I was previously part of a department that wasn't as cohesive).

So right as we begin to feel good about our jobs, we've just been informed of another re-organization which means more layoffs. Two different rumor mills have reported everything to happen this week -- or next week (depends which office you work at as to which rumor you're hearing).

It's all very unnerving and I usually don't blog about work, but it's hard to feel productive when this is happening. Plus, work is such a big part of your life, it's hard not to be thinking about this all the time.

I'd hate to lose my job, or to keep my job and see fellow colleagues lose their job -- either way, there is a bitter pill to be swallowed.

1 comment:

Amy said...

It kind of puts a damper on the Christmas spirit... But hang in there, I know you'll be fine! Happy Thanksgiving to you both, hope to see you soon!