Friday, October 8, 2010

Big decision

Today I made the final decision not to return to work.
This was a very hard decision because I enjoy working, value my financial support of my family, and frankly, have never imagined being a stay at home mom. However, a lot changes when your baby finally arrives. After I bawled home after visiting daycare, matt was super supportive of my feelings to not leave him in infant daycare. We crunched the numbers and while finances will be tight, it can be done. I'm very grateful that matt is agreeing to this, but he also agrees that this is best for our family.
In an effort though to not completely leave the workforce, I've arranged to become a contract/project employee for my company, available for projects as needed. This is better than part-time (which they couldn't give me this status), because it will give me time for both work and raising Wes, while still making some income.
So the next weeks will be me getting used to this new phase in my life (as if the baby wasn't enough of a change), and return to "frugal rosie" as I make this work!
I hope I'm making the right decision.
Sent from my iPhone

4 comments:

Avocados said...

What a hard decision to make! I'm certain that there is no one in your office as cute as Wes. No one at the office will appreciate your time more than Wes, even if he can't properly thank you right now. There are all sorts of stay-at-home Mom's and you can make it exactly what you want it to be.

KT said...

Coupons...coupons...coupons...

Some other suggestions that we follow:

- no cable tv (you can get a bunch with antenna)
- movies from the library (I think they are $1 at Wheaton...explore surrounding communities - Warrenville is free and they have a terrific selection).
- Homemade laundry detergent (let me know if you want my recipe)
- Never buy paper (use the backs of 8x11's...I bring them home from work all the time...let me know if you want some).
- Don't buy wrapping paper (again, let me know if you want some architectural prints...the white side is terrific for decorating...Wes can even have some fun when he gets older).
- Garage sales...you would be amazed at the toys/games you can get lightly used. A lot of things can get sanitized in the dishwasher.
- Don't eat out much (big $ here!). If you do eat out...carry out with coupons (drinks and tip from home are much better than in a restaurant).

Anonymous said...

Everything will be fine! I kept thinking to myself, how is she going to hand him off to a stranger?! Oh, and you have always been "frugal rosie"!

Stacy said...

So exciting! Been wondering how I am going to handle going back myself - hmm? Hubby and I have talked #'s before if it came down to me not going back - may have to look into some more just in case.