I told myself that it wouldn't feel any different than the last 12 weeks I've been home, but it did. I went grocery shopping with the baby yesterday, and driving around in our SUV I felt like I needed to have mom jeans on and a bumper sticker saying "My kid's an honor roll student at [fill in name here] Junior High." Not that there's anything wrong with that.
The week also marked our official start of living "frugally." Since October (and our decision to go to 1 income), we've made some changes in the way we spend. For example, we...
- make our coffee every morning (no more Starbucks or fancy $4 lattes every day, although I did give us a budget for coffee/weekends. We can't be entirely miserly). Monthly saving: $60
- make our lunches every day (no more $10 lunches when make sandwiches for $10 for the week.) Monthly saving: $160
- No more careless spending. Just in general, we're watching those extras that we buy but don't need. Monthly saving: $50
But here are our other cost savings measures Matt and I have just agreed to:
- No more cable. (This was a suggestion from KT). We barely watch anything other than some sitcoms. I don't watch TV during the day and at night, who has time? We're lucky to get in 1 DVR'd sitcom in. (MY SUGGESTION). Monthly saving: $75
- Lose our 2nd car. We can't fit the baby in it anyway, so it's a waste of gas and insurance and maintenance. It's paid off so it doesn't cost us alot, but it's money that can go somewhere else. (MATT'S SUGGESTION) Monthly saving: $60



3 comments:
Oh my gosh! Are you really going to get rid of cable TV????????? Did I read that right? I actually laughed when I read KT's comment about that as you have always thought us the odd balls without cable! One thing about that is you're going to need an antenna to get reception if you have no cable at all. I think you can get a really simple digital antenna now a days...ask my hubbie. He's the neighborhood expert at being on the roof! :)
We have been without cable or dish going on six years and it has been WONDERFUL!!!!! After the initial shock wore off (esp. the girls, we have really enjoyed it and rent or watch instantly movies, sitcoms, old sitcoms, etc. from Netflix for around 18.00/mth. During the week, we don't usually watch but Friday is our big movie night with the girls or the girls have friends spend the night. They actually play, read, ride bikes, etc. We love it!!
Just hook an old computer up to your TV and you won't even miss any of your favorite shows. We haven't had Cable in years and love the $$ and time savings. As for coffee, I think homebrew coffee is way tastier plus it is much better on your waistline. Those Lates and Mochas add the calories.
A cost savings and life improving step we are trying to take is to buy a ton of veggies at the farmer's market in the summer, when veggies are cheap, and freeze them for the winter. It costs some time up-front but the payoff is big.
Post a Comment