Ed. note: I added some photos from our trip and the video of the sparring giraffes.
For the first time since the baby's been born, I thought it might be good for me to get away for a weekend. My plan was to come to Madison, visit my good friend M, stay at a B&B, and sleep without interruption. (and if I happened to stumble into a spa that would be ok too).
But I thought it would be more fun to drag along my mom (she doesn't always get away), so here we are. We made these plans before the state legislation debacle so we got a room at the Hilton, but our plans for hanging out and eating around Capitol square were squashed.
No worries. After gobbling scones this morning at Lazy Jane's, we headed to M's then lunch and the Zoo. It's close to her house, free, and was pretty cool -- orangutans, Siberian tiger, sparring giraffes (video to come).
Then we headed to the Capitol to join the protests and dance to "power to the people!" I loved the energy of the protest, the parents who brought their kids, and the creative signs ("walker eats kittens"). Now, back in the hotel to get warm and rest our feet -- dinner tonight with M at a place NOT on the square. (Update: Actually - we did eat on the square at Graze. It was a great restaurant starting out with cockatils and truffle popcorn at the bar, then cheese platter, and I had a delicious burger for dinner. The next morning, we went to Bradbury's for coffee and crepes and I had a really good Nutella muffin, too.)
Washington DC, Day 1
10 years ago



No comments:
Post a Comment