I enrolled Wes in swim class and we had our first class this week. Our local YMCA is one of the only places with an indoor pool that has infant swim classes. They start at 6 months old. So for the next 8 weeks, Wes will be channeling his inner-Michael Phelps.
At our local cloth diaper store, I bought him cute little swim diapers from Wee Wave. They look like little speedos (i.e. not like trunks) and have a waterproof outer layer and cloth inner layer. I was told that he could wear just these in the water (no other diaper needed) and they are reusable -- so for $10, it's better on your wallet and the enviroment.
I had never been to the Y before so I made sure to get there 1/2 hour before his class, and that was a good thing because the lockers rooms are not infant friendly. There's really no place to put a baby while you're getting dressed. After class was even worse because now you're all wet. We all laughed that the class is only 1/2 hour long, but getting ready to go home took another 1/2 hour. Next class I am bringing a stroller (one of the other mom's had her's and told me she learned the hard way), and a bag for our wet clothes (a no brainer, but I totally forgot).
In the pool, I didn't know how he would react to getting into the water, and whether or not he would be a wet noodle that would wriggle out of my arms, so I was nervous. Maybe it's because he's too young to have fear, or because water is very natural, but Wes didn't fuss at all. The water is 95 degrees so it's a sauna, it's 2 ft high so we're all scrunched down low; we sang songs that helped with arm and leg movement as well as putting them on their backs, a bucket of rubber duckies helped them try and "swim" for something, and (my favorite) the dumbell -- the older kids can grab on, but I put Wes's arms over it and he floated around. He was really good for the whole thing, his face was so relaxed I thought he might fall asleep.
Despite the crazy locker room situation, I'm looking forward to next week.
Washington DC, Day 1
10 years ago



No comments:
Post a Comment