Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Memberships

Since having Wesley, memberships have become more plentiful.

The Arboretum ...I've always had one to the Arboretum (classes are cheaper as a member), but seeing Wesley light up in the Children's garden and having a place to go when the weather's fine and you have no 'plans' has me thinking I'll keep it going. Cost $65 (Pays for itself after 6 times - 3 times with a guest)


The Zoo ... Once you pay for parking ($9) and entry ($13), if you don't stay at least 5 hours then you feel jipped, and there's no way we can ever stay that long. Instead we bought the membership for the family and I've gone with Matt, his parents, my mom, and friends plenty of times throughout the summer. Now all we need to do is find a time to use those free tickets for the Dolphin Show. Cost $106 (with a guest pays for itself after 3 times)

Children's museum ... Now this one is new and I just got it. I've taken Wesley to this museum two times over the last two weeks. It's $9.50 to get in per person - that's $20 each visit for the two of us now that he's past 1-year. Insane. He wouldn't have gotten much from this place a few months ago (before he could crawl), but now it's like nirvana to him. I love it that it's a place I don't need to lug the stroller and I don't need to say "don't touch." Also good for those cold winter days ... Cost: $75 (Pays for itself after 4 times)

 The Pool ... When it's hot in the summer, all you dream about is a pool. The only thing I regret is not using this enough. It was hard with Wesley because on hot hot days, you don't want him out in the sun. And by the time evening comes, you forget about it. We went as a family a few times, and alone a few times but not enough to pay for itself. The other down-side is that it's only for the members, so I can't get my mom in for free which is better when you're with a baby (the more help the better). But this will be worth it as Wesley gets older. Cost $91 (Pays for itself after 11 times). Summer only.

Staying at home with Wesley means getting out and doing fun things, and these memberships at least allow me to have a place to go even if I only have a few hours and I don't have to rummage to make sure I have the cash.

1 comment:

Ginger said...

too cute!

we're members of the zoo, too. amazing how expensive these things are if you pay per-visit.