If you're not on GoodReads and you like to read, you should be -- it's a fun way to chronicle your reading, see what your friends are reading and get some good recommendations.
Here are just a few of mine, based on what I read in 2009:
If you want my book reviews, click here:
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
-- In 2007-2008, I read all of Jane Austen's books, bios, etc - it was a fun task and while I love JA, Jane Eyre was truly incredible. Maybe it was the gothic aspect (I kept picturing a lot of storms). In JA's books, it's more everyday life, in Jane Eyre it's a saga, an epic, and it's wonderful. I could read it over and over again.
House on the Strand by Daphne DuMaurier
-- I read about 4 DuMaurier's books in 2009, all were good but this one was different. It was the present day, it wasn't "gothic" (as I felt Jamaica Inn and My Cousin Rachel were -- and to some extent Rebecca), and it involved my favorite aspect of Time Travel (though not in the normal sense). The whole book made you think and was easy to get addicted to.
Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates
-- I read this before seeing the movie and I thought it was a very thoughtful picture of a 1950's marriage -- one of so many, I can only imagine. It makes you understand why the feminist movement takes place years later (although I wish we asked for important things like adequate maternity leave and women's health be taken seriously and not just, "we want to be equal to men").
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson
-- Warning: It takes about half the book to get into the story, but it's worth it. I don't know a lot about Sweden, but it wasn't this picture. A great mystery, thriller, set on a remote and cold Swedish Island.
The Wife: A Novel by Meg Wolitzer
-- This is what would have happened to the wife in Revolutionary Road - years later. Resentment, bitterness, and downright dis-like of your spouse... all as he's about to receive a prestigious literary award and after 30+ years of marriage. Another look at a wife's role in the 50's-60's and it's outcome. I really enjoyed this book.
Tortilla Curtain by TC Boyle
-- If I had read this book now (when I'm pregnant), I wouldn't have been able to stomach it. It's fiction, but you know it's based on reality and the reality is hard to swallow. The wealth of southern California juxtaposed with the poverty of day laborers -- what happens when their world meets?
Here are just a few of mine, based on what I read in 2009:
If you want my book reviews, click here:
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
-- In 2007-2008, I read all of Jane Austen's books, bios, etc - it was a fun task and while I love JA, Jane Eyre was truly incredible. Maybe it was the gothic aspect (I kept picturing a lot of storms). In JA's books, it's more everyday life, in Jane Eyre it's a saga, an epic, and it's wonderful. I could read it over and over again.
House on the Strand by Daphne DuMaurier
-- I read about 4 DuMaurier's books in 2009, all were good but this one was different. It was the present day, it wasn't "gothic" (as I felt Jamaica Inn and My Cousin Rachel were -- and to some extent Rebecca), and it involved my favorite aspect of Time Travel (though not in the normal sense). The whole book made you think and was easy to get addicted to.
Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates
-- I read this before seeing the movie and I thought it was a very thoughtful picture of a 1950's marriage -- one of so many, I can only imagine. It makes you understand why the feminist movement takes place years later (although I wish we asked for important things like adequate maternity leave and women's health be taken seriously and not just, "we want to be equal to men").
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson
-- Warning: It takes about half the book to get into the story, but it's worth it. I don't know a lot about Sweden, but it wasn't this picture. A great mystery, thriller, set on a remote and cold Swedish Island.
The Wife: A Novel by Meg Wolitzer
-- This is what would have happened to the wife in Revolutionary Road - years later. Resentment, bitterness, and downright dis-like of your spouse... all as he's about to receive a prestigious literary award and after 30+ years of marriage. Another look at a wife's role in the 50's-60's and it's outcome. I really enjoyed this book.
Tortilla Curtain by TC Boyle
-- If I had read this book now (when I'm pregnant), I wouldn't have been able to stomach it. It's fiction, but you know it's based on reality and the reality is hard to swallow. The wealth of southern California juxtaposed with the poverty of day laborers -- what happens when their world meets?



1 comment:
I loved Jane Eyre too. I love all the movies but I thought the book was amazing.
Post a Comment