Last night, my mom and I went to a book signing/talk of the executive editor of Cook's Illustrated, Jack Bishop.
You've probably seen this magazine at the check-out line of Whole Foods; it's the one with no photos in it, the one that looks like it's made for people who really want to learn how to cook. My mom's a subscriber, and one of their gazillion "real-people" testers**, so we had to go see him. I, of course, have no idea who he is, but I like Barbara's Bookstore and my mom needed a driver, so I was recruited.
Actually, it was fun and he gave some great anecdotes about recipe testing, the rigueur it goes through before it makes it into the magazine (or on the TV show). One of the funniest things was when he read reviews of recipes from some "real-people" testers. Everyone knows that cook's change recipes, or use different ingredients, so he read these comment cards where someone changed almost everything about the recipe and then declares, "It was delicious!"
**real-people testers – you can sign up on their website to test recipes. When they have a recipe to test (after it's gone through all their shenanigans), they email it out to 2,000 people looking for feedback. Sound like fun?
You've probably seen this magazine at the check-out line of Whole Foods; it's the one with no photos in it, the one that looks like it's made for people who really want to learn how to cook. My mom's a subscriber, and one of their gazillion "real-people" testers**, so we had to go see him. I, of course, have no idea who he is, but I like Barbara's Bookstore and my mom needed a driver, so I was recruited.
Actually, it was fun and he gave some great anecdotes about recipe testing, the rigueur it goes through before it makes it into the magazine (or on the TV show). One of the funniest things was when he read reviews of recipes from some "real-people" testers. Everyone knows that cook's change recipes, or use different ingredients, so he read these comment cards where someone changed almost everything about the recipe and then declares, "It was delicious!"
**real-people testers – you can sign up on their website to test recipes. When they have a recipe to test (after it's gone through all their shenanigans), they email it out to 2,000 people looking for feedback. Sound like fun?



1 comment:
I like the idea of this real people tester, especially since I've been cooking like crazy recently and am always seeking new recipes. I think I'll check it out!
Post a Comment