Friday, November 6, 2009

Uncomfortable on the Train

Last night on the way home from work, I unintentionally sat next to a very pregnant woman on the train. When I looked over and saw her protruding belly, my heart sank. Are pregnant people coming out of the woodwork on purpose to taunt me? As I was trying to concentrate on my book, she kept rubbing her belly.

I realized then and there that I could go on hating all people who are fertile, or I can (as Matt and I have discussed) paint a different picture. Maybe that person is pregnant after years of trying, after many miscarriages, after medical assistance. I have no idea what their story is, and maybe it's one of hope.

So as I watched her rub her belly because she had no where else to put her arm, shift her weight forwards and back trying to get in a comfortable position, legs looking somewhat swollen, I wasn't too sure if I was envious of her.

2 comments:

Danielle said...

I'm sorry Rosemarie. I know that feeling all too well. You have a great attitude, though, with painting a different picture. My husband reminds me to do that all the time and it really does shed a different light on it. Keep your chin up....

Colleen said...

I think you have the absolutely right idea about thinking of any baby bump you see in strangers as a little bump of hope and in this world we live in right now it is very, very possible it is that couples little miracle that they have struggled with. It gets hard when you know the person and know it came quickly and easily but I try to always thank God that they did not have to go through the struggle we have and that gets me through those moments (most of the time).

peace (something that I think we all could use a little more of in our lives and in the world.