Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Toxins … everywhere

I was reading one of my library books on how to have a greener, safer home. Sometimes, I wonder if it's not better to stop reading and live my life, toxins, cancer-causing agents, and all?
  • Parabens in my shampoo and soaps … these mimic estrogen and can cause cancer
  • Triclosan in toothpastes … this is an antibacterial substance
Determined to be as "au natural" as possible, I've switched to Tom's of Maine toothpaste (I had a free sample to get me started – basically tastes like baking soda rather than fresh minti-ness), and I checked all my soaps for parabens so now I'm only using paraben-free stuff. Anything else I need to worry about?

2 comments:

Carol said...

It appears that the lining in cans is made from BPA and has been found be more toxic than previously thought. It is another estrogen mimic and obviously can cause problems.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine-archive/december-2009/food/bpa/overview/bisphenol-a-ov.htm

Colleen said...

This is related to infertility but I thought maybe it might interest you. There is a teleseminar on December 17 on Environmental Toxins. It is actually a reschedule of an earlier seminar but the presenter never came on the line last time and they cancelled it. So, if you have something to do, don't bank your time on this guy....but if you are around it might be worth listening to. It could be a waste of time though (like it was for me the last time!). I am curious to see what he has to say. The info is on the site www.resolve.org and then click on teleseminars on the right. I sometimes wonder about plastics and estrogen.