For most people, when they find out they're pregnant, they start planning everything but I did nothing. I didn't even want to try and "bond" with the baby (hence the name Caligula). Now that I've hit my 2nd trimester, I realize that I have some catching up. One of the things I need to do is pick a childbirthing class to attend and the options are plentiful.
Right now, I've decided to go for a natural birth (as natural as a hospital setting will allow). I want the epidural to be an option, but I really want to let my body do what it needs to do -- the thought of being numb and having someone tell me to push sounds terrifying. I'd rather feel what I need to do and push when my body tells me to. If anyone has any insight to this ... PLEASE contact me!
So I'm trying to look for childbirthing classes that focus on preparing you for an unmedicated birth and there are quite a few: Lamaze, Bradley, Hypnobirthing...
So the Hypnobirthing struck me as the most interesting. The philosophy is to take the fear out of labor and create a calm, meditative state to help you through the contractions - and not to view it as pain but be in tune with your body. Anything that creates CALM is what I'm looking for. The good thing is that there are classes at a Yoga studio not too far from me and the next session is from March - May (3 classes). And the teacher is a doula so maybe I can hire her too?
Now I'm thinking it would also probably be good to try another birthing class, for another point of view. The Bradley classes look good, but they are 12 weeks long. Then there are the classes thorugh the hospital.
The hospital ... I don't mean to sound bad, but I don't really like hospitals. They feel factory-like and I'm worried they'll want to get me in, pump me full of pitocin to "get the show on the road" , cut me open, stitch me up, and send me home. I'm only going for the hospital setting because it's my first. After this, I may opt for a birthing center & midwife (or home?!) So I'm going to have to tell my OB my plans and see how they react. What if they give me a weird look if I mention Hypnobirthing and Doula?
I guess I shouldn't say anything until I tour the facilities. My hospital just added a new birthing wing that supposed to be "state of the art." So maybe it won't be so bad.
Right now, I've decided to go for a natural birth (as natural as a hospital setting will allow). I want the epidural to be an option, but I really want to let my body do what it needs to do -- the thought of being numb and having someone tell me to push sounds terrifying. I'd rather feel what I need to do and push when my body tells me to. If anyone has any insight to this ... PLEASE contact me!
So I'm trying to look for childbirthing classes that focus on preparing you for an unmedicated birth and there are quite a few: Lamaze, Bradley, Hypnobirthing...
So the Hypnobirthing struck me as the most interesting. The philosophy is to take the fear out of labor and create a calm, meditative state to help you through the contractions - and not to view it as pain but be in tune with your body. Anything that creates CALM is what I'm looking for. The good thing is that there are classes at a Yoga studio not too far from me and the next session is from March - May (3 classes). And the teacher is a doula so maybe I can hire her too?
Now I'm thinking it would also probably be good to try another birthing class, for another point of view. The Bradley classes look good, but they are 12 weeks long. Then there are the classes thorugh the hospital.
The hospital ... I don't mean to sound bad, but I don't really like hospitals. They feel factory-like and I'm worried they'll want to get me in, pump me full of pitocin to "get the show on the road" , cut me open, stitch me up, and send me home. I'm only going for the hospital setting because it's my first. After this, I may opt for a birthing center & midwife (or home?!) So I'm going to have to tell my OB my plans and see how they react. What if they give me a weird look if I mention Hypnobirthing and Doula?
I guess I shouldn't say anything until I tour the facilities. My hospital just added a new birthing wing that supposed to be "state of the art." So maybe it won't be so bad.



1 comment:
I took a Lamaze birthing class and it was very insightful and helpful, although nothing prepares you for labor but actual labor!! With Emma, I was induced and went the natural route for about 5-6 hours but the pain got the best of me so I opted for an epidural. It was very nice but it did not last!! Apparently, it slipped out so I ended up having Emma au naturalle!! With Lilli, I opted for the epidural as soon as they would give it to me!!! I think the important thing to remember is you know that at the end you are going to have a wonderful baby that you will love like nothing else you have ever loved and for that reason alone, you can and you do endure pain, some pain, no pain (epidural), or much pain. In the end, they are worth it!!
Post a Comment