![]() |
| Door County March |
This time we stayed in a different room at our usual Inn. I was totally apprehensive about this, because we've gotten accustomed to "our room" (where Matt proposed to me in 2002). But we loved this new room -- it's the only "suite-like" room at the Inn, so there's a sitting room in addition to the bed & bath. It was very cozy and felt like home. The view out of the bedroom was of the lake & pier (as opposed to the woods). Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day (ask Matt how many times we go out for breakfast!) and the Inn makes a nice one. The first morning, they made banana crumb muffins (in addition to their homemade granola, fruit, coffee, etc), and the second day they had cherry sour cream muffins. We "swoon" over homemade baked goods! Not to mention, they have an endless cookie jar filled with cherry oatmeal cookies, and in the afternoons a bowl of popcorn.
And speaking of food, we can't say we have our favorite restaurants yet -- since every time we go up is low season and not that much is open. But on this trip we did eat at all new places. Our first night we had dinner at Alexander's -- a white tablecloth place with a nice lounge and good food. We had a great waiter and Matt had 2 killer Rum Runners (not that I tasted them, but "killer" as in I drove back). The next day we had lunch at the Village Cafe -- a quirky colorful cafe known for breakfast all day, so I got their cherry pancakes (pancakes as good as the Pancake Pantry in Nashville) -- and a low-key/late dinner of thin crust pizza & tasty gelato at Joe Jo's Pizza & Gelato. The best thing about low-season is that there are no waits, and everything is casual (even the white tablecloth places).
Our main reason to go up to DC this time was for some R&R, so we took it easy this time. We hung out at the Inn a lot and soaked in the whirlpool ( I really needed this, my back has never felt so good). As we approached the peninsula, Matt realized he had forgot his jacket, so we found this outdoor shop in Sturgeon Bay where the guy helping us told us about Door County Land Trusts -- great places to go hiking if you know where to find them. So that's what we did Saturday morning - hiking near Egg Harbor. Afterward, we drove up to Sister Bay to go bowling and Matt played the best game of his life: 163! He got 5 strikes; he was HOT! My best of the 2 games was 142, which was typical for me when I concentrate, but I could not get a strike to save to my life.
It was a little too cold to go strolling through the quaint, picturesque towns, so we'll do that next time -- but driving on the curvy country roads was a lot of fun with the stick shift (I couldn't pull Matt out of the driver's seat).
We're not glad to be back - I could have used 1 more night and 1 more tub soak.




No comments:
Post a Comment