Thursday, March 25, 2010

First prenatal class

We had our first prenatal class with our Bradley instructor Tuesday night.

The class is almost 1/2 hour away (isn't everything in Chicago 1/2 hour away or more?).  Matt's train was late and as I was waiting to pick him up I decided to read the pamphlet stating, "Wear comfy clothes... bring pillows... bring mats ..."  I had nothing with me and jeans on. So we had to make a beeline back home to change -- this is so typical me -- and then like crazed maniacs zoomed off to class getting there with 2 minutes to spare. Along the way Matt asked how long the class is.  "Until 9:45PM," I answered. "Almost 3 hours?!" I swear I told him all this, but it's not until we're going to the class that he asks.

I couldn't tell if Matt was nervous or not, but I'm sure there was a lot of apprehension when he walked into the townhouse clubhouse where the class was being held, seeing 2 other couples sitting around and our teacher gathering items (she was a doula at a birth that afternoon and was running late too, whew!).  So there ended up being only 3 couples, and our teacher is this nice lady who sits on a yoga mat in Indian style as she described Bradley and the class (which I already knew most of because I recently read Husband-Coached Birth), and passed out a slew of material

The class is 10 sessions long, each one taking a different topic.  Last night was Exercise. So for the last 1/2 of the class, we learned all these different exercises we have to do each day.  Some of them include our husband (like the squatting, which I offered to help her demonstrate for the class without thinking that squatting in front of the entire class was probably not something I wanted to do as an Intro to "Hi I'm Rosemarie.")  And even the pelvic rocking - which is just for us - she had the guys get down on all four to try them out. Matt appeared un-hingeable but he did it.  A lot of the exercises were similar to things we do at yoga so it's nice that I've already been doing these, and have a feel for how they feel and know now how they'll help me even more in labor.  And as I was telling Matt, I do yoga alone but this is something we can share together.

He said he's going to be the best coach and make sure I do my exercises every day (like this morning on the train, I had to do my kegels). He insists I don't need a doula and that he will be there every step of the way, even if he ha to hold me up for hours on end. Smile.

No comments: