Tuesday, March 30, 2010

The nursery ... color explosion.

This weekend, Matt and I painted the nursery.

We haven't picked out any bedding, or... anything for that matter. But my dad's having knee surgery in April and wanted to get the crown moulding and trim up as soon as possible so that necessitated painting the room.

We have the pretty purple dresser that Matt and I painted before we got married; this will serve as the changing table.  We thought green would go great with purple, so we chose Benjamin Moore's Stem Green color.  (And I swear to you all, that we picked this out BEFORE finding out it was a Pottery Barn color-- because that in itself is a turn off... like reading one of Oprah's Book Club books.  It's like people need to tell us what to do and read because no one has an original idea anymore... but I digress.)

On the ceiling we chose a green 3 colors lighter - Frosty Lime.  In some ways --Matt and I joked -- this room would be the Mini-Me to our room (which also has green walls/ceiling and purple bedding/accents). Just more kid-like.

So the paint went up... fine.   I left the room for a while, Matt went to get a haircut.

When I went back up the stairs, the room all of a sudden looked like a Lime Bomb went off ... I almost died.  When Matt came home and looked up the stairs into the room, he almost fell over.  This was a SERIOUS Green Machine.

-----The website I'm linking to with the paint color appears to be a greyish, soft, green. It actually has more yellow to it, which is fine, but it's not as soft as it appears on-line.-----

All I could say was "Oh Shi%$t."   Matt said he loved it (even though he was as shocked as I was about the color).  All I could do was sit int he room and shake my head.  We tried bringing in the dresser and some objects to see if that would help.  Not for me.  I sat in the rocking chair, trying to rock my emotions away, but I couldn't.  I actually had to leave the room because it was so overwhelming.

Matt was insistent that after we put in furniture and decor, it would be better, and we agreed that everything should be cream that we put in the room.  But when we put in the cream nightstand, it turned green by the bouncing colors.  And besides, I don't want everything else to be cream. I wanted this to be a colorful, playful room.

What to do ... if Matt wasn't in the picture and I did this on my own, I would re-paint it instantly.  But I agreed to let it soak in.  2 days later (Monday), my dad put in the moulding and it looked a little better but ... nope. I still hated it.  I called Matt up, "What can we do?"

So we finally agreed to re-paint, but we haven't decided if we're going to leave the stem green on the top portion (like the picture of the ABC nursery), or change the whole thing.

Sigh.

No comments: