Two weeks ago, Matt and I went out to dinner with the mystery couple on a "blind date." That's how I refer to people whom Matt has not met and when I drag him out to have dinner or whatever with new people. He hates this. Remember Block Party 2008? Well, the only thing that has changed since then is that Matt doesn't fight me on this as much as he used to.
Who was our "mystery couple" this time? I met her in a photography class I took last year and since then we've met for lunch and to take photos. When the idea of dinner came up, we thought, "Let's bring along our husbands." When I told Matt this, the color drained from his face and I wasn't sure if he heard me say, "We're going out to dinner with ______ & her husband." or "The doctor called and the prognosis is negative."
In the end, Matt's blind date went fine and we had a good time - in fact, our dinner (of just pizza and beer) lasted 4 hours. If we weren't having a good time, could it have gone on that long? But Matt's refusing to tell me if he had a good time because he knows if he says yes, I'll just sign him up for more blind dates.
It's not as if he's never done this to me. His good friend at work (a woman) was dying to meet me and Matt dragged me to his Christmas party (where I knew no one) to meet her and her husband. I wasn't dreading this at all, I drank 2 cosmos before they arrived and we all had a blast. Now they're one of our good friends, and not just "Matt's friend." My advice: get drunk!
Last Thursday, Matt joined me when I went out with my old co-workers (because he knew them - i.e. the safe zone), and when I told the story of the "blind date" both of the guys moaned and said they felt for Matt; while the other girl was like, "How fun!" Is it a difference between men and women, or introverts and extroverts? I told them, "Matt always says 'It was fun' afterwards," to which they replied... "Sure, it WAS fun, now that he can leave. You won't find him saying, it IS fun, during, because it ISN'T fun..." Matt was just rolling with laughter, happy he was finally in the company of some sane, normal people.
So tomorrow night we have dinner plans with our neighbors... but Matt's not dreading that because we know them. But in Matt's defense, going out to dinner with strangers is like me having a blood test. I don't want to go, I dread it for weeks, and I need to hold his hand. But somehow I get through it, and so does he.
Matt, if you hold my hand, I'll hold yours (said with a wink & a smile).
Who was our "mystery couple" this time? I met her in a photography class I took last year and since then we've met for lunch and to take photos. When the idea of dinner came up, we thought, "Let's bring along our husbands." When I told Matt this, the color drained from his face and I wasn't sure if he heard me say, "We're going out to dinner with ______ & her husband." or "The doctor called and the prognosis is negative."
In the end, Matt's blind date went fine and we had a good time - in fact, our dinner (of just pizza and beer) lasted 4 hours. If we weren't having a good time, could it have gone on that long? But Matt's refusing to tell me if he had a good time because he knows if he says yes, I'll just sign him up for more blind dates.
It's not as if he's never done this to me. His good friend at work (a woman) was dying to meet me and Matt dragged me to his Christmas party (where I knew no one) to meet her and her husband. I wasn't dreading this at all, I drank 2 cosmos before they arrived and we all had a blast. Now they're one of our good friends, and not just "Matt's friend." My advice: get drunk!
Last Thursday, Matt joined me when I went out with my old co-workers (because he knew them - i.e. the safe zone), and when I told the story of the "blind date" both of the guys moaned and said they felt for Matt; while the other girl was like, "How fun!" Is it a difference between men and women, or introverts and extroverts? I told them, "Matt always says 'It was fun' afterwards," to which they replied... "Sure, it WAS fun, now that he can leave. You won't find him saying, it IS fun, during, because it ISN'T fun..." Matt was just rolling with laughter, happy he was finally in the company of some sane, normal people.
So tomorrow night we have dinner plans with our neighbors... but Matt's not dreading that because we know them. But in Matt's defense, going out to dinner with strangers is like me having a blood test. I don't want to go, I dread it for weeks, and I need to hold his hand. But somehow I get through it, and so does he.
Matt, if you hold my hand, I'll hold yours (said with a wink & a smile).



No comments:
Post a Comment