Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The warehouse of scary baby stuff

We took our first trip to Babies 'R Us last weekend.

It was like Home Depot, but instead of a row of table saws, there were rows of strollers.  Instead of buckets of drill bits there were bottles.  It went on and on and was literally a warehouse of baby stuff. Who knew a 7lb baby could need so much?

This was our first visit, our virginal introduction to what lies ahead.  It was fun because Matt and I were equally clueless and we took this far less serious than future parents probably should.

When we got there, Matt said he was concerned about cribs, and I was more concerned with strollers.  In the end, I won, and Matt agreed that the stroller was way more complicated than picking out a crib.

It was fun test driving the strollers, but trying to get them to fold and get car seats out of them proved a little more difficult.  As he was fumbling with the baby carrier he pronounced, "Okay, by now the baby is lying on the floor crying."  At one point, I was laughing so hard because Matt could not, to save his life, figure out how to detach the car seat from the base (or from the stroller) and I think he was ready to throw it on the ground when a sales lady came around to stop us from breaking their items.    When it was my turn, Matt timed me -- 30 seconds to see if I could get the carrier out.  I failed.  I also failed the "carry the carrier" test, I need to work on my arm muscles and this was a carrier without a baby.

My mom suggested we "rent-a-baby" and bring it to the store to see how easy it is to actually be with a baby.  I was frustrated figuring out the strollers because my purse kept falling off my shoulder and my sunglasses kept falling off my head. I'm going to need to "downgrade" to the "mom purse" and "mom sunglasses" (but not "mom-jeans" I draw the line somewhere).

We need to go back and we're enlisting the help of our friend and mom of 3 kids who, if she doesn't know what we need, then no one does.

1 comment:

Michael DeRosa said...

You had me laughing out loud while reading this... Good Luck with your next trip... you'll be a pro in no time...