Tuesday, April 6, 2010

The high cost of Childcare

I just called a place that wants $440/week (or $1760/month) for infant childcare (5 days a week/ full time).  That made the place that only wants $395/week (or $1580/month) seem like a bargain!

Is childcare really this expensive?

Unfortunately, I'm calling "big" names because those places seem to have the longest hours (6:30am - 6:30pm) --while in-home care which I hear is about $250/week (or $1000/month) usually wants your child picked up by 5pm -- so maybe this is why I'm getting sticker shocked.  But these costs are equal, or more, than my mortgage. Personally, I think it's a conspiracy to get women out of the workplace.

In Chicagoland, I read, childcare for infants should range from $220-310/week.  That must have been an old article... but it wasn't - I just don't where these costs are coming from since it isn't consistent with the places I've called.

Fortunately, Matt and I have been living on 1+ salary for our entire marriage.  I always knew we needed to pay for daycare, so we tried to live as if we only made his salary and a quarter of mine (just in case I needed to stay home, too).  Even so... I was still banking on the fact that childcare would only cost us $300/week ($1200/month) max.  I do have to admit, that I am worried come January (when we hope to officially start daycare), I'm not going to want to leave my 5 month old anywhere. How flexible can I get my job to be??

LATER ...

Okay, I've called a total of 6 places and the range is $280 - $440/ week (or $1120-$1760/month) for 5 full days and $223 - $311/week -- or $892-$1244/month)  for 3 full days. None of them had a wait-list as of now (but unknown for January).

Next, I'll be calling the childcare association for our town because they have a referral system to hook you up with places that probably don't advertise on the web.  I would love an in-home place...

Time to start the TOURS.

2 comments:

KT said...

Geezz...I need to change industries!

texasgirl62 said...

childcare costs are astronomical!! 13 years ago we paid 760.00/month for Emma's childcare which by the way was Montessori. It was a ton of cash but in the long run well worth it. It's hard to put a price on piece of mind and even though I would have rather been home with her at the time this worked out well for our family. Always go and interview with the director,etc. at the places your are looking at. If you don't feel comfortable, listen to that. Hope this helps.