Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Memorial Day Madness: Week 3

Rosey:



Overall, Week 3 was good – not great. Unfortunately, the simple task of eating one piece of fruit every single day eludes me. I ate 1/2 an orange one day, and the other 1/2 the next day. I felt that this didn’t live up to the bargain, and as penalty I didn’t get to buy myself a game – and this pains me!

But I ran on the treadmill all three days that I was at work, and I saw an improvement. When I’m not watching the clock, I can definitely run more and my time shows. For instance, Week 2, I did 1.75 miles with a 14.17 pace; in Week 3, that same 1.75 miles had a 13.03 pace. I’m also doing a series of yoga before I run and I’ve noticed that this really helps. I feel more limber and I don’t have to stop and re-stretch like I’ve had to in the past.

One move that helps conquer shin splints is to sit on your knees (also called Lion’s Pose) while you are stretching your back, neck, arms, etc. Just remaining in that position stretches my leg muscles and eases shin splint pain while I’m running.

Also, I’m keeping a treadmill journal; this really helps me quantify this goal and as I see an improvement it helps me want to stay on target. Matt called me a NERD, but any bit helps – even nerdy spreadsheets.

As for weight … I remain the same as last week. No change.

Matt:


Matt’s simple goal of not drinking coffee lasted up until my mom tempted him with some Mexican coffee on Friday night. Then he had another cup on Saturday morning. I’ve come to the conclusion that Matt’s not a very goal-oriented person (unless money is involved).

And for another week, he hasn’t stepped foot on a treadmill or lifted a weight and still another pound has been shed. [Fist in the air] Manilow! (You gotta know the Colbert Report to get this one.)

2 comments:

angie said...

I thought Matt was the spreadsheet nerd?

Anonymous said...

why dont you make a big fruit salad in the beginning of the week? then you have to eat the fruit bc you dont want it to spoil and go bad :-)

love natalie