Wednesday, January 7, 2009

2009 Goals

Who doesn’t love breaking New Year’s resolutions? I know I do.

I look forward to this time of year, when I can sum up all of my problems and neatly put them in a list of things to do or not to do, how and what I am going to change; I lovingly pour over each and every idea, until finally the list is made… and then promptly broken.

This year, I have a new list of resolutions to break.

  1. Run a 5k race – more specifically the Cosely Animal Run in June that takes place every year not too far from my house.
  2. Read 30 books – I only read 21 last year. I want to beat that!
  3. Try out for a local orchestra – I am trying to find a teacher now, which is the first step since I need to ready myself and this is the only way. I’m anticipating at least 9 mos of lessons… minimum.
  4. Lose 10 lbs and keep it off – hence the reason for the Memorial Day Madness
  5. Save $10,000 - I think this is a nice round number, and I’d like to see if I can save it.

That’s it. 5 seems like a good number.

Let’s talk about #4. In order to train for #1 (the 5k in June), I thought I might lose 10 lbs in the process. I was 3 lbs away from this number last year and then I gained it all back by simply not exercising. Oh and by eating bagels and cream cheese.

Matt wants to lose 18 lbs, so he’s my buddy in our 20-week challenge called the Memorial Day Madness (or MDM for short).

Do you remember Matt’s biggest loser weight loss 3 years ago? Well he lost a ton of weight (he was almost too skinny). So he knows he can do it, but the winner got $600 (he was 2nd place).What’s the goal now? If there is none, it makes this less easy.

The solution: we’ve decided to give ourselves weekly incentives. Each week is different and if you miss a week, you don’t get that incentive. Such as: a dinner out, a new purse, a Wii game, etc. It has to be something we want and that we’re not able to get unless we reach our goal (which is to lose lbs, workout X times, eat a piece of fruit every day, refrain from chocolate, etc).

Monday the 12th is our first weigh-in. As soon as I get our incentive chart done, I’ll post that.

Onward!

2 comments:

Amy said...

5k!!! Count me in. I have a couple of friends who are all trying to sign up for more races (I've done only 1, the o'hare race). We're eyeing one in April for sure and looking to March, as long as it is not too cold!

This year I felt good about not having to deal with the smoking in the resolutions, but I've gained at least 15 pounds since quitting (seriously, I can only fit in about 2 pairs of pants) so weight loss has jumped to the top of the pile. I found a fabulous purse at the Outlet Mall last weekend I wanted to buy, too expensive, but only 1/2 price! Instead, I told myself I can buy said fab purse, after i lose 15 pounds.

Let me know how it all goes. I'm jealous that you have Matt as a partner in all of this. Jason has no part in any of my exercise resolutions, dietary changes etc. It kind of makes it even harder than just doing it by oneself, having someone else in the house who isn't really involved.

angie said...

When in June is the Race? Maybe I could make that a goal for me and we could come up? I have about 15 pounds left to lose and I have wanted to start trying to run, but haven't gotten motivated yet.