Thursday, January 1, 2009

Ringing in the New Year and looking back on 2008

The holiday extravaganza, which begins with Thanksgiving and ends with New Years, is over.

Happy New Year!

We rang in the New Year at our humble abode surrounded by family and a plethora of breakfast goodies. At the 11th hour, I changed my menu (already bought, mind you) from soup and stew to the breakfast of champions: waffles, sausage, bacon, eggs, toast, and hash browns. Some training as a short order cook would have served me and Matt well.

The consensus was that 2008 could take a hike, we were ready for a new year and a new start. Looking back on the year that saw our retirement portfolios sink faster than the Titanic, we can say we survived it.

Puerto Vallarta, Fort Meyers Beach Florida, Door County Wisconsin, Nashville Tennessee... those were some of the places we visited this year and each one was special. But the most special was Door County. Matt and I celebrated our 5th anniversary in the place where we got engaged and it still holds fond memories and happiness for us.

While my work life rode an endless series of roller coaster turns and loops, I haven't yet fallen out of my seat. My company merged with a competitor, consolidated divisions, and had 3 series of layoffs. I saw my old department be eliminated entirely, while I held on. My role in the organization changed three times this year, a personal work relationship crumbled, and for the better I was able to start anew in a new department, but that again, has now changed and I'm holding on to the bar very tightly anticipating the next curve or dip.

Our house got a chance to be enjoyed rather than torn apart -- at least for most of the year. Last year was one project after the next, but in 2008 we just sat and relaxed, enjoying the new living room and dining room. Only at the end of October did we start the lower level bathroom renovation after the mold seeping from the shower couldn't be ignore one minute longer. But this won't get done until 2009... February maybe?

We didn't go out as much as we wanted, or connect with friends as often as we wanted. I hope that 2009 lets us make up for that.

Onward 2009!

No comments: