But before we make any rash decisions, we decided we needed to do a little vacation … in February. If you can make it in February, the rest of the year will feel like a picnic.
So we’re off to Waitsfield, Vermont (about an hour southeast of Burlington) for 5 days, where we plan on doing the following: snowshoe, ski (downhill and/or cross country), eat some good local food, see some cheese-making (in February? I dunno), see Burlington, Middlebury and small towns in between, catch some beautiful views, and try and stay warm…
We started practicing getting used to the snow by going to the Arboretum this weekend (click for photos).
Okay.. but before we get too ahead of ourselves, let’s talk about skiing…Let me state here that I have gone skiing once, in Wisconsin when I was 17, and I never left the Super Turtle Hill. My legs just didn’t get it. So if we do ski, this will be another moment for me to un-shine as I fall into the snow or break a leg. I looked at the 2 places to ski (Sugarbush and Mad River Glen) and I’m now officially scared. These are real places, not like Wilmot or Villa Olivia; these are real mountains with lifts, not towropes. I don’t even know what to wear?! I’m clueless. Super clueless. Please help.
And what if we decide to cross-country ski instead? I’m not as scared of breaking a leg, but not bringing the right equipment. The pictures I’m seeing have people with shorty jackets and like leggings. Should I bring a short jacket in addition to my longer puffy coat? Do I have to go to a ski store to buy funky legging things? Where will I pack all this?I've never been so confused over vacation apparel - I usually just throw clothes in a suitcase and go. But this time it's big clothes and too many what ifs.



1 comment:
Have a great time!It sounds wonderful! I have started trying to make cheese at home (2 failed attempts so far - haven't blogged about it yet). I ordered a package from the New England Cheesemaking Supply Company, and they have workshops, but I think they're in MA. I want to do a WI artisinal cheese trip one weekend once it's warmer out!
Post a Comment